Dear reader, it’s no coincidence that the post about peace is published on this blog at such an unprecedented time. Yesterday the world became a much more dangerous place, and this post is an attempt to express solidarity with all countries and nations facing aggression right now. Stay strong, stay put and stay hopeful! ☮️
Verb + peace & peace + verb:
- To maintain peace: One of the purposes of the United Nations is to maintain international peace and security.
- To bring (about) peace: 1) We are trying to bring peace to the world through our work. 2) We hope the actions will bring about peace in the region.
- To establish peace: Science and technology should be used to help establish peace in the world.
- To keep peace: The Security Council is obliged not only to keep peace, but also to make peace, to build peace.
- To preserve peace: In 1945, the United Nations Charter highlighted as its core concern the need to preserve peace.
- To make peace: He has the power to declare war and make peace.
- To promote peace: We encourage the efforts undertaken worldwide to promote peace and stability.
- To restore peace: We will continue to play our part in assisting efforts to restore peace and tranquillity in the country.
- To secure peace: The army and the police are trying to secure peace, stability and public order.
- Peace comes: When peace comes, we’ll sigh with relief.
- Peace reigns: Now that peace reigns in the country, it can develop its economy.
- Peace prevails: Although peace prevails in most parts of the world, some regions are not that fortunate.
Adjective + peace:
- Lasting peace: Only through dialogue could lasting peace and sustainable development be achieved.
- Permanent peace: Gone will be the threat of war and destruction and permanent peace will reign.
- Fragile peace: It’s safe to say that a fragile peacehas taken hold.
- Uneasy peace: They often returned to situations of uncertainty or uneasy peace.
- Relative peace: The country is currently enjoying relative peace.
Peace + noun:
- Peace efforts: We believe that peace efforts and initiatives for the achievement of peace and stability should be based on international law.
- Peace talks: The peace talks must continue.
- Peace negotiations: We must immediately open peace negotiations.
- Peace agreement: We will sign the peace agreement.
- Peace process: The ongoing peace processhad produced many positive developments.
- Peace treaty: With the peace treaty signed, we felt we should celebrate along with the nation.
- Peace envoy: A peace envoy is someone sent on a mission to end conflict or bring peace.
- Peace activist: She has been a peace activist for decades.
- Peace rally: The conference, among other things, called for a peace rally.
- To bury the hatchet (= to make peace): Can the two countries find a way to come together and bury the hatchet?
- A peace offering (= something offered to an adversary in the hope of obtaining peace): Can we consider this a peace offering?
- To smoke the peace pipe (= to stop arguing/fighting): You need to both sit down like rational adults, smoke the peace pipe together, and get on with your lives.
- The bird of peace (= white dove): The bird of peace is also called the dove 🕊 of peace.
Click the link here and match the parts of the collocations/idioms.
Click the link here and choose the right word to complete the sentences.
May you have peace in your heart and in your country!
a Ukrainian 🇺🇦 teacher, blogger and founder of Enguroo.com